Monday, March 23, 2009

A World in Flux: Balloons

I've never quite figured out why  I have an obsession with the innate characteristics of balloons, but this has been a reoccurring theme in many of my creative projects.  (See my Flickr page.  For my Fine Arts Photography project I did emulsion lifts of individuals holding balloons in places that were reminiscent of their childhood.  I then placed the emulsion lifts onto inflated balloons.) For my World in Flux project, I would like to return to this theme and reexamine the meaning that can be found in balloons.  We know balloons defy gravity and float away at rapid speeds into the unknown.  But what would happen in a world where balloons were grounded by gravity or hovered instead of ascended?  In other words, a world that is distorted by the natural characteristics of gravity.  Perhaps this does not reveal a narrative more than a question of our surroundings.  However, I think through stop motion, reversing footage, and superimposing, such a world can be created.  Another inspiration of mine for this piece is this unbelievably constructed stop motion music video.  I know nothing about the artist but the work involved in it has become a sensational hit for many creatives.  It is inspirational to me that such time and effort was put into a music video to incorporate a more artistic feel that expresses the characteristics of the music being played.  I would like to explore this effect in my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment