Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Telematics & Self

Telematics are not only part of my daily life, but an essential building block in my development. As an avid user of social networking sites such as Facebook, e-mail, and a cell phone, I depend on telematics to connect with others. This connection is not only social, but fundamental in my daily activites, job, and schoolwork. Without telematics, I would be unable to instantly communicate with group members or coworkers. Furthermore, the time involved with such activties as a job search or catching up with others would be substantially longer. Telematics allows me to become more productive and a characteristic user in a generation known for its multitasking abilities.

As I begin to dwell on this topic, I have received an e-mail on my iPhone from a recruiter at Estee Lauder in New York City regarding an in-person meeting for a post-graduation job. This example is telematics in progress. My e-mail address and cell phone number become not only a way to reach me, but a means to identify me. What I choose as my username on this particular blog may be just as important as the clothes I decided to wear to class today. I have chosen my name as the URL address. What does this say about me in the telematic sphere? Am I simple and traditional or professional? Am I afraid to choose words that may result in a negative connotation for someone who may find my blog in the blogosphere? Telematics is another outlet of my identity that may be just as important as meeting me in person. The relationships I build on a site such as Facebook also shape my telematic identity. This is myself and telematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment